Saturday 24 September 2011

Top Five Free Hobbies

"Beware the hobby that eats." Benjamin Franklin


About six months ago, it occurred to me that many of my favourite hobbies were generally costing me more than I could afford. Snowboarding, pole dancing classes and theatre trips were leaving me with limited funds, so I set about trying to replace them with free or virtually free new hobbies. My top five thrifty favourites are as follows:
  1. Thrifty sports and exercise. Such as hiking, football, walking/running, darts, tennis, skateboarding, basketball and cycling.
  2. Music. Re-learn or teach yourself to play an instrument. Attend gigs for 'up-and-coming' bands. Less notoriety = cheaper tickets.
  3. Cooking and baking. Challenging, cheap and child-friendly.
  4. Blogging. Share your passion and give yourself a voice.
  5. Arts and crafts [see previous article Get The Crafting Bug]. Or why not take up knitting, sewing, painting or photography.
Do you have any recommendations for cheap yet fun hobbies I could try? Leave me a comment or email me at thrift-queen@hotmail.co.uk

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy gardening and reading. I like your idea about teaching myself to play an instrument. Thanks for sharing xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma. I try my best at gardening, but alas I'm not naturally green fingered. But I think I might pick up a guitar next week and see how they fair at that! xx

    ReplyDelete