Friday 13 January 2012

The Cleaning Power of Salt


I was at my parents house last weekend, and was chilling in the kitchen whilst my mum was cooking. She dropped an egg on the floor, and I told her to pour salt onto the egg spillage to make it easier to clean up. She was amazed at how easy it was to get rid of.

Salt can be a very thrifty cleaning method to soak up other spillages and stains as salt absorbs liquids and helps to lift them from the surface (like with the egg). It works well on other greasy spills, such as on hobs or oven floors. Salt can also be rubbed on china cups to remove stubborn tea and coffee stains, or on burnt-on-food in pans.



Poured out too much washing powder? Sprinkle some salt onto it to reduce the froth without spoiling the cleaning power of the detergent. My most common use for salt removing stains, is pouring on a red wine spill (or strawberry daquiri in my case). See YouTube video below:


No comments:

Post a Comment