Monday 16 July 2012

Handmade 2012: Dinosaur Tail

the finished dino tail - modelled by my six year old

Roooaaaarrr! Fancy a change from giving tacky plastic toys? A dinosaur tail makes the perfect handmade present for toddlers to race around the house wearing!

the materials

I got the idea to make this from my new favourite website tipjunkie.com - which is where you'll find all the instructions. It took about half an hour to make, and I drafted my mum in to help me (thanks mum). The fabric cost approximately £10, but that's because I chose really thick material so I didn't have to 'double up' as tipjunkie suggests.

You could easily modify the tail. Why not use an old fleece for the spikes to give it some texture, or make it for a girl and sew with pretty Cath Kidston fabrics.

2 comments:

  1. This made me smile as I remember making dressing up outfits for my children, my son hasn't quite forgiven me for his giant mouse outfit when he was 5. something to do with part of the outfit being his sisters woolly grey tights, he is 28 now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, love it! I'm 29 and still remind my folks of such things :-) I'm sure it'll come with my son one day too...

    ReplyDelete